[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Clarifying what AI is, and how it is being applied in medicine

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 19:22:53 PST 2019

In the latest potpourri session (Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019) there was some discussion about just what in medicine is actually Artificial Intelligence (AI), what are merely Expert Systems, what is true Machine Learning, and what is simply new methods of data collection and presentation without much analysis at all. These terms deserve some clarification, as they apply to AI in Medicine.
(Note that some of my references are geared toward selling a company's services or products.)
Here are some references which clarify the differences between expert systems vs. machine learning vs. AI in medicine.
What is artificial intelligence?https://www.brookings.edu/research/what-is-artificial-intelligence/
How artificial intelligence is transforming the worldhttps://www.brookings.edu/research/how-artificial-intelligence-is-transforming-the-world/
Difference Between Artificial Intelligence And Expert System In 2018https://azati.ai/the-return-of-expert-systems/
What is the difference between an expert system and artificial intelligence?https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-an-expert-system-and-artificial-intelligence
Machine Learning AI vs Expert Systems AI | Why It’s Betterhttps://www.parascript.com/blog/machine-learning-ai-vs-expert-systems-ai/
I hope there's something in these references which may help to clarify just what is meant by AI in Medicine. (And, what and where AI is *not* -- yet -- in medicine.)
Since I am not an active (or retired) researcher in AI, I won't offer to present to the Group about this topic. But it does come up in such topics as The Internet of Things and even some applications of Laser (and other) Scanning of Historic Sites.
Just because it isn't replacing human thinking (yet) in medicine, this does not mean the technologies being developed in this field do not involve a hefty dose of AI.
-- Bob Primak