[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Meeting Reminder: 10:0AM Wednesday, November 6, 2019 In Room 237. Backup strategies, presented by Peter Albin.

Jonathan Goode jonathan.goode at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 06:35:06 PST 2019

 We meet Wednesdays 10:00AM to 11:30AM Eastern Time in Room 237 of the
Lexington Community Center, 39 Marrett Road, near the Masonic Museum. Use
the driveway for the Museum, then turn left to the building in the back.

*Nov 6, 2019    Backup strategies, presented by Peter Albin *
* Plans for upcoming meetings*
*Nov 13, 2019  Steering Committee followed by Gary Patrick on computer
blogs. *
*Nov 20, 2019   Space Geodesy, its properties and tools, presented by Mike
Pearlman of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics *

*Geodesy is the science of accurately measuring and understanding three
fundamental properties of the Earth: its geometric shape, its orientation
in space, and its gravity field— as well as the changes of these properties
with time.*

*Space Geodesy uses sources external to the Earth: artificial satellites
(in satellite geodesy), quasars (in very-long-baseline interferometry,
VLBI), and the retroreflectors on the Moon (in lunar laser ranging) to
measure these static and time varying properties;*

*Of current interest are measurements to monitor geodetic parameters and
their temporal variations in a global reference frame with a target
relative accuracy of 10E-9 – 10E-10, for both scientific understanding of
the Earth system and understanding their potential impact on
society.Fundamental to these measurements is a reference frame that
provides stability over space, time, and evolving technology. *
* Nov 27, 2019  Thanksgiving. No meeting. Dec 4, 2019    Tesla and Marconi,
presented by Bob Primak *
*Dec 11, 2019   AI in Medicine  *
*https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613361/giving-medicine-a-dose-of-ai/?utm_source=MIT+Technology+Review&utm_campaign=Alumni-Newsletter_May-Jun-2019&utm_medium=email
<https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613361/giving-medicine-a-dose-of-ai/?utm_source=MIT+Technology+Review&utm_campaign=Alumni-Newsletter_May-Jun-2019&utm_medium=email>*
*
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/15/18264314/ai-artificial-intelligence-deep-medicine-health-care
<https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/15/18264314/ai-artificial-intelligence-deep-medicine-health-care>*
*Dec 18, 2019   Potpourri*

*Dec 25, 2019   Christmas. No meeting. *
*Jan 1, 2019      New Year’s Day. No meeting.*

NOTE: This message is being distributed using a new technique because Yahoo
has reduced its services to Yahoo Groups, including ours. We are looking
for ways to have the group services we need without using Yahoo.