[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] LCE Course on the atomic bomb

Charles H. Holbrow cholbrow at colgate.edu
Wed Jun 17 10:36:10 PDT 2020

Dear LCTG-ers,

Thanks to your reception of the two talks I gave to LCTG on the Manhattan
Project, I am planning a more extensive course on the atomic bomb.  It will
be part of the Lexington Community Education program and will consist of
six sessions from 10 am to 11:30 am on successive Mondays starting July 6.

It will be by Zoom so you can take the course from anywhere that you have
an internet connection.

I want to have enough participants to make the course worth doing.  I
particularly would like LCTG members to participate.  You have a level of
technical expertise and experience that makes you a pleasure to talk with.
I hope many of you will enroll in the course.

To register go to
/
https://lexingtoncommunityed.org/class/the-atomic-bomb-the-history-physics-and-politics-of-americas-manhattan-project/
This site has information about tuition fees, and there is a short
description of course content.

Below is a brief statement sent around to urge its readers to take this
course.

The Manhattan Project, America's massive, secret, war-time project to build
an atomic bomb, was amazing in its inventiveness and in its daring
engineering.  Despite setbacks and difficulties it was astonishingly
successful. It also changed America and the world; it made our government a
different sort of government. The course combines history, politics,
strategy, striking personalities, and some nuclear physics.  I urge you to
enroll, enjoy the stories, and learn how these terrible bombs work.

The course is part of the Lexington Community Education program run under
the auspices of the Lexington School System.  Because of the pandemic,
we will meet and talk via Zoom.  I think this will work reasonably well.  I
have practiced teaching with Zoom.  We'll start out with some instruction
for using Zoom, and we will learn how to use its interactive features.
  The course
should be fun, and notice that you can take it from anywhere you have a
connection to the internet.

To register for this course go to
 https://lexingtoncommunityed.org/class/the-atomic-bomb-the-history-physics-and-politics-of-americas-manhattan-project/
<https://lexingtoncommunityed.org/class/the-atomic-bomb-the-history-physics-and-politics-of-americas-manhattan-project/>.
 This website provides some more description of the course and lists the
registration fees for different types of enrollees.

By registering you will help make this course possible.  I hope you will do
this.

Sincerely,

Charles H. Holbrow, Ph.D.
C. A. Dana Professor of Physics Emeritus, Colgate University
Research Affiliate in Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Visiting Scholar in Physics, Harvard University