[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Internet is hefty

jjrudy1 at comcast.net jjrudy1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 08:52:14 PDT 2020

A number of folks have asked whether the internet can handle the surge in
volume seen during the last week or two.  Consensus appears to be
maybe/probably.  Here are a few recent articles

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/uptime/will-coronavirus-break-internet-h
ighly-unlikely-says-cloudflare

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-broadband-internet-wo
rk-from-home.html?auth=login-facebook

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alexkantrowitz/the-internet-was-built-t
o-withstand-a-nuclear-bomb-it-will

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/tech/internet-infrastructure-coronavirus/inde
x.html

The bottom line in my view is that the experts are not sure, but think it
can.   And of course this is somewhat geography-dependent

On Monday I tried to get onto the Met Opera to watch Carmen and could not.
THEIR server was apparently flooded.  Later on it was fine.

John

John Rudy

781-861-0402

781-718-8334 (cell)