[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Advice(?) for stopping the spread of germs

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 11:17:14 PDT 2020

 Regarding washing the shoe -- I do (spray) disinfect my shoes when I come indoors. Because I have carpeting throughout my apartment, I learned long ago that the best way to keep sand and salt out of the carpet is to have slippers near the door and take off outside shoes before treading on my rug -- Japanese-style. Now that same regimen helps prevent introducing pathogens into my apartment.
As a Trail Steward with the Waltham Land Trust, I often get into all sorts of nasty grime while removing invasive plants or cleaning up trash on public lands, so disinfecting everything which comes in from outside is a way of life for me -- virus or no virus. Not to mention avoiding spreading poison ivy (urushiol) all over the place.
I usually keep my hands gloved during cash handling these days, and whenever it's practical the whole time while inside stores. One small hardware store in Lexington (Shattuck's) has aisles which are way too narrow, so I used their curbside pickup bins for my last purchase there. I phoned ahead to verify that my order would be waiting when I arrived. Fastest trip to that store I've ever had -- even with the hold time on the phone while my order was located.
Regarding carrying your own toilet seat -- In Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy they recommend that you always carry a towel when traveling, and display it prominently. That shows you are not lacking in provisions so people will respect you more. Maybe these days that should be toilet paper, hand sanitizer and Lysol Spray Disinfectant! (I have plenty of each in my apartment. I lied about the sanitizer -- I don't like those overpriced prepackaged things, so I have isopropyl alcohol and make my own different disinfecting concoctions to suit the occasion. I also use Spray Nine or other "quats*" cleaners where appropriate, to avoid bleach or acid stains.)
* "quats" is cleaning industry jargon for "Quaternary Ammonium Compounds". (I got some concentrated stuff from a janitorial supply house which is willing to sell smaller quantities to the public. Don't worry -- I'm a degreed chemist and I read label directions religiously. The degree also helps when reading through the EPA's "N-List".)
I guess sneezing into a pocket is about as sensible as sneezing into your own elbow. Mark Twain once remarked, "The best way to get rid of a cold is to pass it along to someone else."
Just curious -- how many of us now handle public restroom faucets and flush handles with elbows or shoes? I use part of my sleeve or a gloved hand for the door handle when leaving, if I must use their restrooms at all. (Of course after that it's good protocol to change the gloves before heading to the Produce Department!)
Also just curious -- if you like a person, would you use a carrot shake instead of a stick shake?
"We are all mad here." -- the Mad Hatter at the Tea Party in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Curiouser and curiouser!
-- Bob Primak