[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] common Core Math

mwolfe at vinebrook.com mwolfe at vinebrook.com
Fri Oct 16 08:37:44 PDT 2020

To All:

Tom Lehrer [2] is an amazing mathematician, musician, and satirist from
the 1960s.

There is a recently "rediscovered gem" of his Live in Copenhagen
performance that is available on PBS. It also will be broadcast on
Boston local TV:

	* Tom Lehrer - Live In Copenhagen 1967 [3]

 	* Sunday, October 18, 12:00 am - GBH 2 [4]
 	* Saturday, October 24, 04:30 pm - GBH 2 [5]
 	* Sunday, November 15, 12:00 am - GBH 2 [6]
 	* Sunday, November 29, 04:00 pm - GBH 44 [7]

-- Mitch

On 2020-10-16 10:03, Jon Dreyer wrote:

> A lot of people who don't understand math education love to make fun of Common Core math, which actually isn't too bad, from what I've seen of it.
>
> Of course we all want our kids to learn efficient techniques, but, more importantly, we want them to learn to think critically and to think critically about how the techniques work, so they can adapt them and figure out shortcuts.
>
> I have seen far too many high school kids do simple arithmetic using the "standard algorithm" when obvious shortcuts are available. For example, I've seen kids dutifully going through all the motions to do calculations like 791-787, when just counting up from 787 is so much quicker. Those teachers teaching that stuff (at least the good ones) know it's important to teach both the standard methods and the critical thinking necessary to figure out other methods, and one way to do that is to model the critical thinking. So they require kids to work through those other methods.
>
> I spend a lot more time with middle school and high school kids than elementary kids, and I am often guilty of encouraging them to look at some common stuff that they do under a microscope, which can take way longer. For example, most of us could simplify 2x + (7 + 3x) in our heads, but I might ask them to try to put it under a microscope and look at all the algebra properties they are using:
>
>> 2x + (7 + 3x)
>> = 2x + (3x + 7) (commutative prop of addition)
>> = (2x + 3x) + 7 (associative prop of addition)
>> = (2 + 3) x + 7 (distributive prop of multiplication over addition)
>> = 5x + 7
>
> Obviously this is way more work, and not the way we'd do that every day, but the advantage is that it gives kids the intellectual tools to work with expressions in unfamiliar patterns. Without firm knowledge of those basic algebra properties, kids will make mistakes like this:
>
>> 2x + (3x * 7) = (2x + 3x) * 7
>
> Or they will "distribute" inappropriately:
>
>> 2x (3x * 4) = (2x * 3x) * (2x * 4) = 6x^2 * 8x
>
> I see that kind of mistake every day. It's a tough sell getting them to really get to know the basic algebra properties, but those who do get way better.
>
> I'm also a musician, so I make the analogy with practicing fast music slowly. Of course we want to perform at the desired tempo, but if we never practice it slowly, we'll end up playing it sloppily.
>
> Then again, who doesn't love Tom Lehrer?
>
> On 2020-10-16 08:33, john rudy wrote:
>
>> Here is a more complete explanation of what Bob is showing from one of my favorites
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6OaYPVueW4

Links:
------
[1] http://www.passionatelycurious.com