[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] cell phones

Paul Garmon paul.garmon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 12:00:53 PDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM Stern, Marc <MSTERN at bentley.edu> wrote:

> During the recent power outage, we attempted to use the landline with an
> older push-button phone.  The landline was stone cold dead, as were the
> portable phones with attached bases.  I’m not sure why the landline didn’t
> function.   We always have charging bricks fully charged for these
> exigencies.   Any ideas as to why the landline went out as well as the
> portables?

Hi,

If your "landline" is not provided via wiring directly from the (old)
central office, then it is no longer required to be powered in event of
emergencies.  The cable companies and telcos fought with the FCC about this
a while ago and won.

>From the FCC's order back in 2015:

we require all providers of facilities-based, fixed, voice residential
service that is not line-powered to notify subscribers, at the point of
sale and annually thereafter until September 1, 2025, of  *the availability
of backup power purchasing options*,

FIOS, for instance, offers, but does not require (or maybe even encourage)
battery backup, though they are legally obligated to offer it (per above).
I had FIOS, and the problem is keeping their outside ONT unit
powered.  They have some bizarre schemes I looked at using 12 D batteries
(or something like that), whereas they had previously offered a small UPS
with battery backup as part of their set up, but apparently no more. My
solution was to just plug the ONT power supply (located in my basement)
into a UPS.  Anyway, I have since switched to RCN and as long as I keep my
phone and modems powered during an outage, it likely will allow both
internet and phone use.  I'll let you know...

Paul