[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] cell phones

Paul Garmon paul.garmon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 09:29:26 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:58 PM john rudy <jjrudy1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Re: cell phones
>   <video>

Hi,

Had a very busy week, but I finally got around to watching that "cell
phone" video just now.  Hahahaha
<https://twitter.com/comsence/status/414429766544916480>.  Thanks John!
[Maybe try to send links where possible and not multi-megabyte movies (yes,
you can fill up GMail, but it takes a while, and I hate to delete
things)].  It almost looks staged, but I can imagine that things (like
typewriters) are just alien until you are familiar with them, which may be
why it's sometimes hard to teach things when there's no frame of
reference.  Anyway, the big problem I had with that video is that all of us
cool folks have had touch-tone phones since the mid-1960s (and could have
even tried a video phone if you were at the World's Fair back then!).
[see: The Charade of the Touch-Tone Service Fee - Los Angeles Times
<https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-10-05-fi-1736-story.html>]
Anyone who is still actively using a dial phone is either a slow-adopter or
overly frugal (and is likely also still running Windows 95 [we won't
discuss Win 3.1, OK?] or, to be fair, MacOS 6?).

BTW, I still have about 15 different phones (no true antiques, these are
all from 1960s onward), including multi-line (with the old Centronics style
connectors <https://s27812.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/57-40500.jpg>!).
I can rent any of them for $10/day, if you're interested! 🤑  Wish I still
had my mom & dad's matching princess touch-tone phones from the 1960s (and
no, I'm not going to buy some on ebay!).

However, I was thinking of donating some (assuming they want any) to
the Telephone
Museum <https://telephone-museum.org/about/> in Waltham (well, at least
before the pandemic struck):

[image: 167-D71_9572.jpg]
*   "Telephone Museum, Moody Street, Waltham, MA"   ©2019 Paul Garmon
Photography*

FCC: Landlines Will Only Exist Another 5-10 Years, AT&T Wants Out by 2020
<https://stopthecap.com/2013/07/08/fcc-landlines-will-only-exist-another-5-10-years-att-wants-out-by-2020/>
 [they've killed off old analog/digital cell services [2G] far faster than
rotary & Touch-Tone™ phones!]

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 11:15 AM George Gamota <ggamota at stma-llc.com> wrote:

> I made sure that initially my 3 sons learned to drive on a car equipped
> with a stick shift, and now my 3 grandsons know how to drive a car with a
> stick shift. In fact the oldest grandson bought a used car with a stick
> shift. They are fun to drive and I always rent a car when in Europe with a
> stick shift.

Well, how about the manual shift ON THE STEERING COLUMN?  Way harder, if
you don't already know how, IMHO! 😂

   - What Happened To Column Shifters? - Seatco
   <http://seatco.com/2015/07/what-happened-to-column-shifters/>
     [makes me seriously miss my old car with the 6-speed manual -- on the
   floor <http://s90697863.onlinehome.us/540i/>]

Well, it's looking like a beautiful day out after our needed rain, so time
for me to stop being inside on my computer (in 10 years no one will know
what a computer is either: "what, you didn't all have tele/cell-watches?").

Paul
 [the other one ;]