[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] How to Securely Get Rid of Your Devices

Paul Garmon paul.garmon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 11:23:15 PDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 12:10 PM Robert Primak <bobprimak at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This article includes advice on encrypting a drive before erasing it.
> Also, how SSDs can be erased, and what can go wrong with secure erasing of
> any device. How to Securely Wipe Your Devices So You Can Recycle or
> Resell Them
> <https://www.vice.com/en/article/bjex48/how-to-securely-get-rid-of-your-devices>

Hi,

While my friend The Hack Mechanic dismantles the issues of our
Massachusetts Ballot Question 1 here:

   - Deciphering Massachusetts’ “Right to Repair” ballot question | Hagerty
   Media
   <https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/deciphering-massachusetts-right-to-repair-ballot-question/>

That brings up this: So, you've covered your old computer (above), but what
about your old car?   At least one modern enough to have some of your
"personal data" (which the "No on 1" people have been trying to scare
us about)?  I think we need to start thinking about data retention
standards akin to GDPR
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation> for just
about everything?

Paul

P.S. Many years ago I worked for a tech company which routinely upgraded
computer hardware.  Problem is we were a start-up, so the older equipment
never got phased out.  One day, I asked a co-worker, what are you doing
with that old machine?  He said, well, there are a few files on it that I
need.  I said, well, get them off or I'll get them for you, and then took
the machine and stacked it in a storeroom.  I proceeded to do this in my
off hours (which are not many at a startup) until we had over 200
machines.  I had to wipe off every one of them (and rebuild or scrap some)
and then reinstall the OS to make them usable.  Was a lot of work, but most
of the machines ended up donated to Summer camps (feel sad about this
year), schools, and charitable organizations that I endeavored to find
(solicited fellow employees to find local organizations that desperately
needed equipment).  I called my little enterprise PLEA (Program to Liberate
Engineering Assets).  Anyway, we ended up making a lot of folks happy and
got rid of the equipment, which had probably long since been written off
the company's taxes and was just taking up space.  When I departed that
company years later, I was handed a list of company assets I needed to
return, lo and behold, all of these computers were on it (pages upon
pages!).  Took a while to explain to the asset folks in the accounting
department that none of these were ever coming back and I should not be on
the hook for any of it. Haha!  [I had other equipment that I offered to
buy, but they refused and made me return it, so I had to turn to ebay to
replace some of that!]