[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] "Cat lawyer video" technical explanation

Ken Pogran pogran at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 10 09:25:22 PST 2021

I suspect that by now, most folks have seen the so-called "cat lawyer
video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxlPGPupdd8&feature=youtu.be>" in
which a hapless attorney making a court appearance in Texas via Zoom on
a borrowed laptop has his image replaced by an augmented-reality cat,
mimicking his mouth and eye movements etc.  He is perplexed because he
can't figure out how to turn off the "filter" in Zoom, even with
guidance from the (apparently technically savvy) judge.

On another list I'm on, a member related finding an article with a
technical explanation of just what happened on the video, and why the
lawyer couldn't figure out how to undo the "filter". Turns out, it was
more complex than just a feature of Zoom:

"An article I read made clear why the lawyer couldn't figure out how to
turn it off.

"The filters are not part of the Zoom app. Instead, you install a
different program ("Snap Camera" from the company that makes the snap
chat mobile app). That program presents itself as a different webcam to
the OS.

"Then within Zoom or WebEx or whatever, you dig deep into your video
settings and change the camera from the system webcam to this special
Snap camera.

"It's a clever architecture hack, but if you didn't set it up yourself
(I'm sure the lawyer's [assistant's] kids did it), I can't imagine a
normal human ever being able to figure out how to turn it off."

A brief article on USA Today
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/02/10/zoom-cat-filters-how-to-add-to-next-meeting/4466701001/>
explains how to set it up (on Mac or PC), but also notes that the "BBC
reports the specific cat filter in the video originated from
pre-installed software for Dell laptops called Live Cam Avatar", so who
knows which was actually in use.

Ken Pogran