[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Microsoft issues urgent security warning on PrintNightmare: Update your PC immediately - CNN

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 05:36:26 PDT 2021

 So much to discuss about how to deal with this security issue! And more to come with the July regular monthly Microsoft Windows 10 updates.
I suggest those with a desire to follow this and other Windows updating issues, to subscribe to the former Windows Secrets (paid) newsletter and web site. It's still called AskWoody.com, though Woody Leonard recently handed over the reins to Susan Bradley, a Microsoft MVP IT professional with years of Office and Windows patching experience. I am a paid subscriber and sometimes this newsletter pays for itself. This is one of those times.
Bottom Line is, for home and Pro small business users, the best advice right now is, DO NOTHING. Wait for the July Windows and Office updates. Some of the advice and "mini-patches" out there could wreck your ability to do more than printing in Windows.
I have much more than average knowledge of how Windows works, and I don't see presently a complete solution to this security issue -- YET. I also don't see much of a security threat if your only networked printers and scanners are on your home network and do not have remote printing or Cloud printing features in use.
 For myself, I did change the Advanced Security Restrictions on one Print Driver folder within System32 >> Print Spool, and all of its child-folders. Way beyond the skill set of the average home or small business user! This is a fully reversible change and is not negated by any Microsoft emergency patches. (Or, it can be checked and reinstated after any patching.) I left all Group Policy items (in Pro) alone!
Permissions Change:https://blog.truesec.com/2021/06/30/fix-for-printnightmare-cve-2021-1675-exploit-to-keep-your-print-servers-running-while-a-patch-is-not-available/

Disable Print Spooler Service:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-mitigate-print-spooler-vulnerability-on-windows-10/

Out of Band Patch fails to fix the underlying vulnerability:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsofts-incomplete-printnightmare-patch-fails-to-fix-vulnerability/

News and Information -- Susan Bradley, AskWoody (Windows Secrets) Contributor and Microsoft MVP:https://www.askwoody.com/2021/print-nightmare-is-going-to-be-a-nightmare/
 and:https://www.askwoody.com/2021/out-of-band-for-print-nightmare-is-out/

If you have anything which prints and is facing the Internet or the outside world in any way, maybe disable the Print Spooler Service when not actually printing. And print locally only. Wireless is fine, as long as it's only using a local network. Businesses may have other considerations, but I assume they have IT pros on-call who have already made changes or offered advice until a patch covering the full extent of this issue is released by Microsoft through normal patching channels.
-- Bob Primak
 Microsoft issues urgent security warning on PrintNightmare: Update your PC immediately - CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/tech/microsoft-security-update/index.html