[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Special Meeting Computer and Technology Group

Harry Forsdick harry at forsdick.com
Fri Jul 9 04:01:22 PDT 2021

George,

This is an excellent article with many fine points.  I particularly liked
that the first recommendation was to provide excellent audio.  As a long
proponent of Internet Conferencing, I have always said that 90% of the
meeting's content is in the audio rather than the video.  I think the
scales have tipped a bit with the wide adoption of Zoom-like facilities
because of the increased use of screen sharing of the speaker's
presentation graphics.  Now I would say the audio content is how 70% of the
meeting's content is conveyed.

There are several other non-obvious recommendations that are about the
needs of people in a meeting rather than getting enamored by new
technology.  These authors get to the second-order effects of how to
use technology to solve meeting participants' (both local and remote) needs.

Finally, a comment not necessarily about this article:  I think
developments are moving very fast in solutions for hybrid meetings.  It
will be a mistake to put too much trust in any one of the emerging
solutions.  At the same time, we need something that addresses some of the
problems right now.  Rather than trying to make final choices at this point
(i.e., for the next 6 months to a year) I still advocate for adapting a
partial solution built out of pieces that we know work now, albeit less
capable than we'd like.

I don't believe we understand all of, or even the most important issues of,
this new style of meeting -- just as we didn't understand the number of
times we would have to say "Please mute your mics when you are not
speaking" for fully remote meetings.

Regards,

-- Harry

Harry Forsdick <http://www.forsdick.com/resume/>
Lexington Photo Scanning <http://lexingtonphotoscan.com/>
Town Meeting Member Precinct 7 <http://lexingtontmma.org/>
harry at forsdick.com   46 Burlington St., Lexington, MA 02420
<https://goo.gl/xZXT2F>
(781) 799-6002 (mobile) <callto:17817996002>
www.forsdick.com
click <http://forsdick.weebly.com/home/my-websites> to see my other websites