[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Dilbert Frequent Victims Club

Michael Alexander mna.ma at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 19:16:17 PDT 2021

Around 1965, Columbia Professor Alan Westin published a book about computers and privacy.  At the time, large computerized databases were being built – the Social Security Administration and the Census Bureau were among the pioneers, but private entities were certain to follow suit.  So Westin’s book was widely reviewed and discussed.
I talked about Westin’s book with my father, a prominent computer scientist.  He remarked, “It’s very simple. You pass tough privacy laws, and if someone breaks the law, you throw him into prison.  Did that ever turn out to be premature!  (If his view should ever be vindicated, will he be hailed as a seer?)!
Then, in a moment of candor and hauteur:

"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."

   – Scott McNealy (Sun

      Microsystems chief executive,

       1/26/1999)

That was a brief moment of honesty from the “tech” industry.
    – Mike Alexander