[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] UV light used for sterilizing masks, etc.

Paul Garmon paul.garmon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 11:12:44 PDT 2020

Hi,

Tell your friend to save their time and money... (unless this is intended
for a person-free industrial environment)

   - Can you kill coronavirus with UV light? - BBC Future
   <https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light>
     [
   https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light
   ]

   - Coronavirus: Do I Need to Disinfect My Groceries? | Houston Methodist
   On Health
   <https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/apr/coronavirus-do-i-need-to-disinfect-my-groceries/>
     [
   https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/apr/coronavirus-do-i-need-to-disinfect-my-groceries/
   ]

Unless done right, it's a complete false sense of security, at least that's
how I read all this.  Better to just wash hands, take a shower, drop
clothes from "outside" in the wash/dry, etc.  Sanitize countertops and
surfaces in the regular way, which you should have been doing once in a
while anyway!  Maybe use a disinfecting wipe, but then I get worried about
touching those for any length of time and the long term risks of that,
because of the compounds many of those contain
<https://med.nyu.edu/pophealth/sites/default/files/pophealth/QACs%20Info%20for%20Physicians_18.pdf>!
Let anything you might touch or bring in from "outside" sit around for a
while, etc.  Pretty sure it's the people you come into contact with who you
need to worry about, not so much the things.

If  you have to get UV disinfecting device (i.e. for your mental well
being), maybe check out this kind of portable UVC light (and if it doesn't
work for disinfecting, maybe you can use it to attempt to determine if
currency is counterfeit
<https://www.abcoffice.com/location-uv-stripes-bills.htm> -- but don't call
the police if so, OK?):

   - Mom puts a UVC light "germ fighter" to the test - YouTube
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nfvoAydlo>
     (this was against bacteria, and viruses are probably hardier,
   Coronavirus even more so)

   - Pocket Purifier - Handheld UV-C Germ Eliminating Light - 2 Pack -
   Newegg.com
   <https://www.newegg.com/pocket-purifier-6913a-air-purifier/p/0DJ-05KT-00004>
   (this was the one mentioned, there may be others, but I didn't check)

Best of luck (though it's really not ;).

Paul