[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Thoughts - Potpourri rescheduled - Sept 16

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 13:57:45 PDT 2020

 Charly --
First, I hope you will be well again soon and can again join us for our online meetings.
Second, I avoid Microsoft products, so I am not missing those Microsoft Stores at all. I long ago decided that for my computers I would be my own technician and solve my own OS and software and driver issues. I have learned to use and love Linux, which has made me even more independent from Microsoft, the Geek Squad and the Apple Store Geniuses.
I just upgraded my smart phone from a Moto G4 to a Moto G Stylus, and this brought me from Android 7 up to Android 10 with full support for the next couple or three years.
Just in time for the "Achilles" security scare, which is looking about as widespread and unsolvable as the Intel Spectre-Meltdown security scare, which is still ongoing. It seems Intel was not the only company to cut security corners at the chipset level.
For those who don't know, this is about the Snapdragon chips, found in nearly all Android Phones. Qualcomm made the chips, some of which are also the system software (SoC). These chips are ARM architecture. So much for the alleged security "invulnerability" of ARM!! (Apple is looking pretty good right about now!)
https://blog.checkpoint.com/2020/08/06/achilles-small-chip-big-peril/

Anyway, when tech turns against me, I hit up Google or ask questions at User Groups like ours. My old friends in Chicago have gone online with Zoom Meetings, and I tap into their skills and experience now, and this is great for me and them as well!
Hope to see and hear you again soon!
-- Bob Primak