[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Email being snared by gmail

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 13:39:36 PDT 2020

 Comcast provides me with a free email account for using their services. It is fully functional with malware and spam filtering. The problemis, this account frequently has login and SSL  handshake and DNS Redirect technical issues, depriving me of its use for weeks on end. Eventually my email client and/or OS gets an jupdate and I can use Comcast mail (web or IMAP) for awhile again. Then they mess things jup again and it's back to their Tech Support Reps. Who obviously do not know jack about Linux or Claws Mail.

Yahoo is my oldest and most used email address. So many people know me form there that it would be hard to notify everyone if I closed that account. Last I knew, a Yahoo Account has to be inactive for over 120 days (no incoming messages and no logins) to be automatically closed or locked. I don't know if Yahoo ever actually deletes an email account, but they must have a policy. This service is less and less useful since Verizon took them over a couple of years ago. Their Oath Authentication system wrecks POP-3 and IMAP functionality unless you register your copy of your email App with Verizon. It'sfree, but an App Password is then used inplace of your Account Password.

I have a gmail account. To keep spam out of it I seldom use it except for banking, utilities and other official communications.
I have a paid account with Fastmail in Australia which is ad-free and gives little interference with reasonable use. The service used to be free, but without ad revenues, they had to start charging for the service. They also run a domain service for businesses and individuals. Historically, Fastmail was associated with the Opera web browser, but the two projects are now separate, kinda like the Mozilla Foundation jettisoned Thunderbird, yet Thunderbird lives on in its own right.

So that's where I get my email. I use Ubuntu Linux and a Claws Mail email client on my desktop. This client is based on UNIX POSIX .mh format. It's free and open source and can be used by individuals or businesses, on a stand alone PC or a server.

I also have Thunderbird available in all three of my main OSes -- Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora), Windows 10 and Chrome OS. Android does not do desktop applications. Thunderbird uses the UNIX .mbox format as its Lingua Franca for export and import of mailboxes. TB also is cross-platform, so I like its versatility. These days you can set up Thunderbird either as Mailboxes, Folders or Conversations Views. The same applies to the Fastmail web mail interface. Lots of options out there beyond the Yahoo-Verizon or Google-gMail or Microsoft Outlook.com-Exchange Thunderdomes.

-- Bob Primak