[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Today's talk

Dick r.w.wagner at verizon.net
Wed Aug 26 14:53:15 PDT 2020

I agree with George and Harry in that I enjoyed Shelly's presentation. I
didn't realize that the object of the talk was to refute the role of CO2
in being a cause or further catalyst of climate change (temperature
increase), and his talk has made me investigate this topic more than I
normally would have. While I think the role of CO2 is fraught with
difficulty in its ascription to climate change, I don't think it's
settled that this gas doesn't have a role, despite Shelly's presentation.

My understanding is that Shelly does believe that the climate is
changing, but that the media, etc., saying that increased CO2 emissions
are causing it, is incorrect. I did a little reading about the roles of
the ozone layer and sunspots on climate change (nothing conclusive yet)
as well as the glacial ice change in the Antarctic. There was one
reference that agreed with Shelly that the amount of glacial ice hasn't
changed much in the past several years, but that reference said that the
amount of ice gained in the east of this continent was tough to measure
and probably is insignificant when equated with the ice lost by the
glacial calving in the west. Other, more certain of their results,
references indicate that there is a temperature increase in the southern
hemisphere and that the glaciers are more rapidly shifting as the ice
melts, thereby forming under-ice rivers, in turn causing increased ice
slippage. As I recall, there is agreement by most scientists that there
has been an increase in the sea level in the past few years caused by
the loss of ice at both poles. Whether this is a natural fluctuation
that occurs over the millennia, I don't know.

Again, enjoyable presentation.

Dick