[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Grommet

Dick Miller TheMillers at millermicro.com
Wed Jul 15 16:47:07 PDT 2020

Hi, John:

UV treatment works well with similar SARS, et al, and probably is an
excellent - and so far largely avoided - stop toward control of this
pandemic.

There are two hralth concerns with UV lamps (aside from broken glass):
skin cancer, and mercury poisoning. The latter can come with the broken
glass. The direct exposure can be avoided by placement.

Here's a recent article on the subject:
> Coronavirus Sparks New Interest In Using Ultraviolet Light To
> Disinfect Indoor Air.
> <https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/07/13/890387205/coronavirus-sparks-new-interest-in-using-ultraviolet-light-to-disinfect-indoor-a?sc=18&f=1001>
> (NPR, July 13, 2020)
> Research already shows that germicidal UV can effectively inactivate
> airborne microbes that transmit measles, tuberculosis and SARS-CoV-1,
> a close relative of the novel coronavirus.
> As the U.S. grapples with how to interrupt the spread of the highly
> infectious virus, UV is being used to decontaminate surfaces on public
> transit and in hospitals where infectious droplets may have landed as
> well as to disinfect N95 masks for reuse. But so far using this
> technology to provide continuous air disinfection has remained outside
> of most mainstream, policy-setting conversations about the
> coronavirus. Experts attribute this to a combination of factors:
> misconceptions about UV's safety, a lack of public awareness and
> technical know-how, concerns about the costs of installing the
> technology, and a general reluctance to consider the role of aerosols
> in the spread of the coronavirus.
> Now, with concern mounting that the coronavirus may be easily
> transmitted through microscopic floating particles known as aerosols,
> some researchers and physicians hope the technology can be recruited
> yet again to help disinfect high-risk indoor settings.

Cheers from
--Dick Miller, Partner, MMS <TheMillers at millermicro.com
<mailto:TheMillers at millermicro.com>>
	Co-Leader, FOSS User Group at Natick Community-Senior Center
<http://millermicro.com/FOSSUserGroupNatick.html> <-Click here to learn
about our VIRTUAL MEETINGS, join, or view later!
/Money Is Not Wealth/ <http://millermicro.com/money.html>

--
*| A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
| Mailto:TheMillers at millermicro.com      | 61 Lake Shore Road            |