[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Grommet

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 17:28:09 PDT 2020

 1) The light needed for disinfection is intense and in an area of the UV spectrum which does pose health and safety risks for untrained people. Professionals use special goggles, like welders use, but much less dark. Intense UV light can also fade colors on some fabrics like draperies, bedding and upholstery.
2) A bit of overkill for household uses. Most of us can continue to use other disinfecting methods safely and effectively.
3) In hospitals and institutions and schools, it is important to kill off airborne aerosols and germs which they contain or deposit on all surfaces. With the much higher than household volumes of human traffic, such situations require extra diligence in disinfecting to prevent public or community spread of pathogens, and to provide the highest standards of infection controls, not required in private homes (unless you or a family member is seriously imuno-compromised).
4) Most people are not trained in the safe and effective use of UV disinfectant protocols, so would not do it right. So it might as well not be done at all in most homes.  Most people are much more likely to do normal disinfecting reasonably well. Though, people still have to be trained in every kind of disinfecting. Hence all the You Tube videos on how to disinfect our homes from coronavirus risks.
So yes, you can get these wands. And you can get backpack-style aerial sprayers to mist your house like they do in gyms and some shops. But you would most likely save money and effort just disinfecting as usual, following online tutorial videos about the exact protocols to use with common household disinfecting cleaners.
And if you think Lysol and Clorox went fast and went up in price, just wait til folks start flocking to UV wands! Remember those finger oxygen saturation sensors?
Personally, in April I laid my hands on a case of Lysol spray and a commercial disinfectant containing quaternary ammonia compounds (Betco Pine Quats).  I only have 800 square feet and ceilings of eight or nine feet to worry about. So I'm good. My porch is sunny in the afternoons most days, so it should be just fine. Same with my teak-wood patio furniture with a tile table top. The tile can be disinfected separately.
I do change my shoes when going from outdoors to indoors or back. That takes some diligence, as with my bicycle, which lives indoors in my apartment. There are videos on making sure groceries and packages are clean enough.
Natural UV is still the best!
-- Bob Primak