[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Coronavirus update on community and alumni events.

jjrudy1 at comcast.net jjrudy1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 15:49:34 PDT 2020

These kinds of messages are flooding our emails, but I thought that Brandeis put together a package worth looking at.

At tomorrow’s meeting we will discuss this briefly prior to our scheduled speaker (I want to be fair to Mike).  Obviously our community is exclusively senior, with the average age probably 75.  For those attending tomorrow, please think through your position.

John

John Rudy

781-861-0402

781-718-8334 (cell)

20 Heritage Drive

Lexington, MA  02420

Coronavirus update on community and alumni events.

  <http://brandeis.imodules.com/s/1614/images/editor/brandeis_logos_aug_1/brandeis_logo_seal_blue_digital-650px.png>

Dear Brandeis Alumni, Brandeis National Committee Members, Families and Friends,

Since the coronavirus emerged in January, Brandeis University has been tracking developments, making recommendations about travel, and reminding our community to be supportive of one another during this uncertain time. As you are an important member of our community, we want to update you on how the university is responding to this situation and how it may impact you and your plans with respect to Brandeis events and travel.

Brandeis has appointed a Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force with a number of working groups to consider all aspects of prevention and preparedness. We also have established a coronavirus/COVID-19 webpage with the most current answers to frequently asked questions and are posting frequent updates on our campus updates webpage.

While much remains unknown about COVID-19's characteristics, after consulting with leaders in the medical community in Boston, Brandeis has implemented these new policies, effective immediately through May 3, based on the concept of increasing social distancing.

As a member of the Brandeis community, you will find the new policies impact our event programming for both on and off campus events:

Effective immediately, any in-person Brandeis event with more than 100 attendees, on-campus or off-campus, will be postponed, canceled or “virtualized” – that is, made accessible via remote technology.

While athletic events on campus will continue, for the time being, we will not permit spectators at the games/meets. This includes both members of the Brandeis community and those from off-campus.

Even for events with less than 100 people, organizers will consider postponing the event and using remote technology instead. Evidence to date suggests that COVID-19 hits certain vulnerable populations harder, including older individuals and those with additional health conditions. Whatever the size of an event, organizers will consider postponing it if many attendees will be over the age of 60.

Given this policy, we have canceled Admitted Students Day on April 19 and will be offering a range of virtual and online events in April for the Class of 2024 to connect with faculty, staff and current Brandeis students.

In addition, the new policy includes:

A requirement for visitors from outside campus, from countries which the CDC has declared Level 3 (currently China, Iran, Italy, and South Korea) or Level 2 (currently Japan) to successfully complete 14 days of self-quarantine before joining us.

A suspension of all international and non-essential domestic travel on Brandeis business or with Brandeis programs, for Brandeis faculty, staff and students.

I encourage you to review this recent letter to the community for more details on the new policies. In the meantime, we will provide updates on Brandeis events through our web pages, social media, and individual event listings on our event calendar. If you have already registered for an event that may be cancelled, postponed or virtualized, you will be notified via email of the change.

We will continue to review these policies, provide regular updates and offer guidance about activities after May 3, such as Commencement and Alumni Weekend, as soon as we are able. If you have questions about the status of a particular event, you may email  <mailto:alumni at brandeis.edu?subject=RE%3A%20COVID-19%20Message%20to%20the%20Brandeis%20community.> alumni at brandeis.edu.

We understand that there are likely to be differences of opinion with respect to how we should respond to the uncertainties associated with this new virus. At the same time, we know that Brandeis is a community where care, concern and compassion for others are long-standing values. This is a moment when we must embrace these values.

We thank you for your patience, flexibility and understanding as we manage this difficult situation.

Sincerely,

  <http://brandeis.imodules.com/s/1614/images/editor/signatures/zamira_korff_signature.jpg>

Zamira Korff

Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement

CONNECT WITH US:

 <http://brandeis.imodules.com/redirect.aspx?linkID=3147125&sendId=1183050&eid=92148&gid=1>

 <http://brandeis.imodules.com/redirect.aspx?linkID=3147124&sendId=1183050&eid=92148&gid=1>

 <http://brandeis.imodules.com/redirect.aspx?linkID=3147123&sendId=1183050&eid=92148&gid=1>

  <http://brandeis.imodules.com/s/1614/images/editor/giving/giving_tuesday/brandeis_logo_stacked_blue_digital.png>

Brandeis University 415 South Street, Waltham, MA 02454