[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Szilard Patent Considerations

Dick r.w.wagner at verizon.net
Wed May 6 09:42:20 PDT 2020

First to Charles: Great Job! I look forward to your next presentation
regarding the Manhattan Project itself.

John asked me to perhaps talk a little about the Szilard patent at a
future time. I would be happy to do so. There isn't much to say.
However, to whet your appetite, Szilard and Fermi (who I'm sure Charles
will talk about next time) worked together on "elements";-) of this patent.

Since I worked with nuclear weapons early in my  career, I have kept an
interest in this subject. To me, perhaps the most interesting aspect of
the development and use of this technology is the personalities of the
scientists and their interactions as the discoveries, their
communications, and later ethical issues in nuclear physics occurred
from circa 1905 until the 1950's.

As an addendum to Charles' excellent discussion of the Manhattan
project, their is a relatively recent book (copyright 2005) by Jennet
Conant, the granddaughter of James B. Conant, centered on what happened
at Los Alamos, New Mexico during the period of the "atom bomb"
development, particularly the vagaries of the personalities involved in
this project. The book is entitled '109 East Palace'. I'll leave it to
you all to learn why she used this title. Jennet also wrote 'Tuxedo
Park', which Charles also mentioned in his talk today.