[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Erase Hard Drive

Paul Garmon paul.garmon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 08:27:41 PDT 2020

Hi,

Not clear to me that the Microsoft install actually tries to erase anything
from the drive, other than logically. Does anyone know?

This is my old favorite:

   - Data Removal: Darik's Boot and Nuke - DBAN <https://dban.org/>
   (despite the pitch for the pro version, and the fact that
    SSD erasure [or remapped drive sectors] isn't perfect [leading Apple to
   remove that feature from MacOS X]
   <https://www.cultofmac.com/648072/secure-erasing-mac-disks-no-longer-secure/>
   ,
    DBAN's erasure is probably "good enough")

   - and it can be run from a USB stick: Install DBAN to a USB Flash Drive
   using Windows | Pen Drive Linux
   <https://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-dban-to-a-usb-flash-drive-using-windows/>
   (there may be other examples of how to do that)

Paul

--

Jon Dreyer