[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Erase Hard Drive

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 09:14:22 PDT 2020

 First, make sure this is a mechanical hard drive, not an SSD.
The USB Boot and Nuke option is tried and true. Set it for 3x overwrite, random characters, and it's good enough for almost all purposes. If you want extra protection, first fully encrypt the whole disk with VeraCrypt, next lose the encryption key, and then nuke. Darik's Boot and Nuke will work from a USB stick. You will not need logging.
See:https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-2624527
It may take awhile to happen, but this method will render all data unreadable.
Then reinstall Windows 10 only up to where it is asking you to set up the PC/laptop. Stop and exit at that point. Actual Windows setup is the job of the Next Owner.
This will not erase Optane Memory if this is an HP laptop with that feature.
For those interested in SSD erasing:How to Securely Erase Your SSD Without Destroying It
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/securely-erase-ssd-without-destroying
-- Bob Primak
    On Monday, September 28, 2020, 10:58:02 AM EDT, Smita Desai <smitausa at gmail.com> wrote:

 >> have a laptop that I want to give to someone for their school. But want to erase the hard drive completely and then reinstall Windows 10.  The laptop does not have a DVD drive, only a network connection. Does anyone know of a good software to erase the hard drive completely?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Smita

Sent from my iPhone