[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Sound problems after recent Windows update

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 20:05:37 PST 2021

 I thought I was able to set up through Windows Update a setting that drivers should not be downloaded from Windows Uopdate.
I just went through the settings in Windows 10 20H2 (Windows 10 2004 or 20H1 should behave the same way) and the setting is no longer in Windows Update.
So you would have to follow the advice in these articles:
For device driver automatic installation (this is what happens when Windows detects new hardware or you fix non-working hardware drivers through the Device Manager):
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-turn-off-device-driver-automatic-installation-windows-10-a.html
To prevent Windows Update from downloading and installing drivers (optional updates):
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html
The Group Policy methods are only available if you have Windows Pro or higher editions. The Registry modifications should be undertaken with care, and it's a good idea to back up the Registry to a .REG file and store that on a flash drive until you are sure the changes are doing what you intend.

Sorry about any confusion. Windows 10 keeps changing everything. Settings are relocated or eliminated from the user interface on an alarmingly regular basis.
During Windows 10 upgrades or installation it used to be possible to select not to download or install driver updates through Windows Update. I haven't seen whether that option still exists in Windows 10 2004/20H1 or 20H2.
-- Bob Primak