[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Senator Who Asked, "How does Facebook make money?"

Michael Alexander mna.ma at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 11:29:34 PDT 2021

In countless ways, the public is Zuckered, including many ways that Mitch didn’t address.  Do you remember the Mel Brooks movie that featured the corporation named Engulf and Devour?  Facebook is much the same.
It isn’t simply that they’ve bought out – paying billions! –  smallish companies that might have threatened their businesses.  It’s also the way they’ve wormed their way into countless ‘respectable’ businesses.  Many, like PBS Evening News, urge people to “Like Us on Facebook” (why?).  If you want to write a Comment on articles in Politico, Times of Israel, and other communications, you must do so through a Facebook account.  The NY Times and some others let (but do not force) you to log in through Facebook or Google accounts, feeding their data-hoovering maws.
I’m certain I haven’t scratched the surface of the ways in which Facebook has engulfed and devoured our digital worlds – even the worlds of those of us who try to avoid contact with Facebook.
    – Mike Alexander