[Lex Computer & Tech Group/LCTG] Locast Suspends Service

Robert Primak bobprimak at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 10:03:03 PDT 2021

 Well, my name is Primak. But anyway, I wouldn't call my forecast "prescient". The warning signs were all there. And there was a legal precedent in Aereo from New York City. They were doing the same thing essentially as Locast. Locast used a slightly different ruse to obfuscate their rebroadcasting infringements, but the Courts see no difference between one retransmission scheme and another. And no difference between outright charging a fee vs. using a shell-game to hide the profits and the revenue stream's path.
"You don't need a weatherman to tell you Which way the wind is blowing." -- Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin'
I use TiVo Bolt OTA with a Lifetime Service Agreement to record and play back live broadcast TV, and Tivo Stream (based on Android TV) to use free streaming apps and get limited Chromecast functions. I also have a Chromecast dongle which I haven't used in a couple of years. I also have a Sling Box, but I don't even know if it works with anything around here. (I had used it with AT&T's U-Verse services.) I subscribe to PBS Passport, so I can use my computer, my Comcast account, my TiVo account or devices, or my phone to keep up with whatever broadcast and streaming TV I might want to see.
And guess what -- I have a Comcast DVR about half-full of last season's shows I haven't had time to watch yet. So many Zoom meetings and outdoor volunteer projects, so who has time to argue about Locast?
The reception is fine for a TV antenna most places around Boston, thanks to extra transmitters and repeaters here. It wasn't always that way, but these days, why go to extremes to avoid Cable fees? Except for premium Cable-only channels, everything else can be streamed or recorded for little or no cost. And yes, you can get a DVR without any contract or fees. Although, adding a guide is recommended , and that does cost a bit of money. A lot of folks who try Silicon Dust's DVRs use Plex as their guide service.
How to Watch Local Network Channels Without Cable
https://cordcuttingreport.com/watch-local-channels-without-cable/

-- Bob Primak